1) Plan your shopping well – make a list of people who you want to get gifts and the corresponding list of probable gift for each one of them. It’s very important in order to have a controlled shopping otherwise you will end up buying things you would end up not gifting anyone. Discuss this out with friends and relatives about holiday shopping, for instance my neighbor has decided to keep this holiday season ONLY for kids that means only kids will be getting gifts and no none else.
2) Start buying early – A smart holiday shopper starts early (first week of December) or sometime even starting from Black Friday. Major retailer’s offline or online, starts offering some crazy pre-holiday season deals to catch customer even before holiday shopping starts.
3) Shop online – Online shopping is always economical and gives you more option that offline, especially with things like Comparison Shopping, Coupons Shopping & Cash Back Shopping. Coupon Shopping is getting so popular in US year by year that this year a study has shown that almost 70% of holiday shopper will decide on shopping depending on the availability of coupon on that particular product. Coupons like Dell Coupons, HP Coupons, Lenovo Coupons, Overstock Coupon, Best Buy Coupons, and Wal-Mart Coupons are extremely popular
4) Buy only what you have to buy from the list that we discussed above. Don’t buy from credit card if you are buying offline from any store as you end up buying more and getting into debt later, only use credit card if you are buying online, that too set a spending limit for yourself when buying online using Credit card. Be careful, as it is so easy to get carried away when you are buying with your credit card.
5) Be very clear about where to buy when you are buying online, don’t just visit any site and buy. Only buy from known big web sites i.e. Dell.com, hp.com, sonystyle.com, tigerdirect.com etc. As holiday season approaching, you will find thousands of web sites offering some unrealistic deal to lure holiday shopper. Be very clear about buying what from where, for example if you are buying a laptop computer then its needless to say what are the sites you should scan before buying. You can go to all major computer manufacturer sites, then other major retailer sites and last but not the least you should also go to deals and coupons data aggregation web sites, data aggregation sites basically aggregate data from all manufacturer & retailers and get you what you are looking at one place rather than going to all those web sites one by one.
6) Always keep in mind your next year shopping, save all year round, best way to do is to open a separate savings account and put some $ every month, so that you can use it for your holiday shopping.
If you stick to these simple rules, you will definitely going to have a nice holiday shopping experience and not feel its pinch for the rest of the year.