Singapore is a great place for shopping. The reason why so many tourists love to visit Singapore is because it has a lot of shopping destinations to satisfy their shopping needs. If you intend to come to Singapore in the near future, shopping at Orchard Road, VivoCity, and Suntec City is something that you cannot miss.
In Singapore, there is The Great Singapore Sale. It usually happens in mid-year whereby all major shopping malls and boutiques will be offering discounts for their goods. Therefore, try to visit Singapore in June so that you will not miss the Great Singapore Sale.
In this article, I will share with you 5 shopping tips so that you will have a great shopping experience in Singapore:
1. Bring along your credit cards. In Singapore, there are a lot of restaurants and shopping centres which offer discounts for credit card holders. Depending on which card you hold, you will get different discounts for your goods. Make sure that you bring along more popular cards like Visa or MasterCard.
2. Visit Singapore in June. As I have mentioned earlier on, Great Singapore Sale will start from June and last for around 1 month. So try to plan your trip to Singapore in the mid-year. Other than the Great Singapore Sale, there are sales during the Chinese New Year period which is either around end January or early February. And not forgetting about Christmas sales season too!
3. Aware of Goods and Service Tax (GST). All goods and services in Singapore are subject to 7% GST at the point of this writing. So do not be shocked that the goods that you see are not in net prices.
4. Bargain at the right place. If you buy anything from roadside stalls, you should always bargain. Do not take the initial price as the final price. Some of the bargain areas are Bugis Street, Little India, Chinatown and Sim Lim Square.
5. Change your money to Singapore dollars. There are many money changers in Singapore. Before you change your money, make sure that you compare the currency exchange rates between different changers. And also make sure that the changers are licensed.
Hope that with these tips, you are now more prepared to shop in Singapore. Singapore is a shopping paradise and if you are a shopaholic, it is a country that you absolutely must visit. While you are in Singapore, you should not forget to try local food delicacies such as Chilli Crabs. Good trip!
Cheow Yu Yuan is the co-founder of OOm, an online marketing agency specializing in Search Marketing.